7/12/2011

Kitchen...heart of the Home.

This is what our kitchen looked like when we began building...
The "oak" cabinets we bought off Craigslist, along with the dishwasher.
The countertops are butcher block we purchased from a local home improvement store
 As you can see we hadn't put down any of the laminate flooring...that's because it hadn't been purchased yet.
 After being in the house for several months, and a long winter.  We knew what we wanted to add to the kitchen and the finishing touches...
 When we purchased the cabinets, we had always intended on painting them white...
 I added oil rubbed bronze hardware, then used an ebony stain on the butcher block countertops.
All of our everyday dishes still sit on this bottom shelf, and I enjoy having them out and displayed.  Since we use these dishes everyday, they get washed just about daily.  Which doesn't leave time for dust to collect on them.  Having them out also helps for children to put away dishes, and get their own. :)
I've always loved white dishes...and they're just more practical for our family.

 Hanging in the window is Basil from my mother in-laws garden.
She usually grows enough, so I don't have to. :)
I love the two different sizes of my sink basin...
The island was purchased from Craigslist as well.
It came with 5 base cabinets and the countertop for $180.  (great deal)

We added the beaded board, and painted it white...
I'm still deciding on what kind of hardware, and we need to add the lights above it.

 From the original picture you can see that we swapped the pantry and refrigerator.  It works better for us this way.
I'm loving my kitchen now, even though we still need to finish a few things...
I'd like to have new refrigerator soon... ;) 

For the love of Faith, Family, and Home,
Thrifty momma

5 comments:

  1. Beautifully done! So nice to have before, during and after photos to remember how far you've come! Great recycling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pardon me mmaam..... but you stole my faucet! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your kitchen is beautiful. I enjoyed the visit!
    Regina

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you ladies for stopping by, and the sweet comments! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful blog! Where did you get the "As for me and my house...."?
    Is it vinyl? Would LOVE to have one for my kitchen :)
    Thanks!
    God bless,
    Elizabeth (another momma of 5....and one more in Heaven :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. We love reading each and everyone of them.
Blessings.