7/04/2011

Old Slab Door

When my husband and I decided to build our home we searched Craigslist for mannnyyy items...ha!
One amazing find was this old slab door for $5.
We did have plans to use it but decided not to, and I just didn't have it in me to part with it.
So my brain started, and I thought, and thought...
One day while looking at the huge wall up our stairs and wondering what to do with it, this door came to mind.

I took it outside (umm, my husband took it outside, and placed it on two sawhorses) then I sanded it down slightly, and removed the hinges and doorknob.  I then took one of my favorite things...Krylon Spray Paint Glossy White.  It only took two and half cans, and I also spray painted the hardware oil rubbed bronze. 
After putting the door back together I then had bought 5 picture frames for 50% off at Hobby Lobby.  Found a baby picture of each one of my blessings, and hung them to the door after it was hung on the wall.  Yes, we even put an ultrasound pic of baby #5 at the end.
I love it!!  It fills the space just perfect, and wasn't expensive at all to make. 
(please ignore date on some of pics...child had taken battery out)



For the love of Faith, Family, and Home,
 Thrifty momma

I linked up with Centsational Girl's linky party....
Thrifty Decor Chick Before and After Party

Becolorful
freckled laundry


5 comments:

  1. Thrifty Momma,
    Love, love, love the door redo!!! Great idea!

    I see you are reading Backyard Homestead (more or less). I really enjoyed it. One of these days I will check it out again.

    Bethany

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love old doors and yours is lovely. What a great idea and use of that huge wall space.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a door just like that sitting propped up against my bedroom wall. Though about hanging it on the wall above the bed but it's so heavy how do you safely secure it. wouldn't want that to come crashing on my head in the middle of the night.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks ladies for the comments! so sweet of you! :)

    My husband used six 3 inch black drywall screws, and he found the studs in the wall. He put one in each end and in the middle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks so great and what a smart way to fill a large wall stylishly and with out a huge $ investment. Thanks so much for linking up to Motivated Monday at BeColorful
    Pam

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. We love reading each and everyone of them.
Blessings.