2/23/2012

White to Gray...the reveal.

This is a before and after pic of my latest painting project.

My kitchen cabinets went from white to gray.  Well at least the bottom ones did.
I LOVE white, but I'm also tired of cleaning white.  HA! :)
I have 5 children, and with that comes lots of finger prints, dirt, and food on cabinet doors.
My white ones were just not holding up to it, so I decided to paint the bottom ones white.

This is actually a picture of what our kitchen looked like when we moved into the house.
We bought the oak cabinets on Craigslist for $400.00, and bought the sink base separate.
This is what the kitchen looked like after I painted them white.  I did like it, but cleaning them was a daily chore. ;)

A better before pic...We purchased the whole island on Craigslist as well.
It's 5 base cabinets and a countertop for $180.  What a DEAL! ;)  We added the beaded board to the sides of the island.
AND...here...is the kitchen today.
I LOVE how it turned out.
I was so surprised at how much I actually like it!
I used Lowe's Valspar Mountain Smoke.

I'll post later on the curtain.
But the material is fun and the perfect colors to pull it all together.
This china was a Mother's Day gift to me several years ago.
It's Ironstone, has beautiful scalloped edges, and it's YELLOW.  The bottom says...Buttercup Federalist Ironstone.  I fell in love with it the first time I saw it in the antique store.
Was so thrilled to get it as a gift.  There's a story behind them, and I'll post it later. ;)
With painting the cabinets gray, I knew the china would look fabulous!  Cause it's YELLOW! :)
I still need to add hardware to this cabinet...and to the island.  

AND here is my wonderful NEW fridge!!  It's dreamy, no?  haha! :))
Also was able to update my dishwasher this year too...
We're all enjoying the change.  I was so nervous about going this dark, but just went with it. 
I still need to paint the beaded board, and a few touch ups here and there.
But WHAT a difference!
I even think it makes our dark butcher block countertops look better.

This whole project cost me under $50.  :)

Blessings,
Our Thrifty Nest of 7
I'm linking up to these fabulous blogs...

Need Inspiration? Wild Wednesday @
Chatty Chics




Feathered Nest Friday @



Photobucket


blah2beautiful
Beyond The Picket Fence
It's Overflowing

12 comments:

  1. it looks beautiful! I love how the yellow of your china and curtains absolutely pop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the colors! The changes make it look like a completely different room! You did great!

    I would like to invite you to link up at my first link party going on now. I hope to see you there.
    http://littlebeckyhomecky.blogspot.com/2012/02/fantabulous-friday-1-random-happenings.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - I love the new colour even better than the white! It's much more dramatic, especially with the dark benchtops. I've been working on my kitchen as well - I painted it white but even without kids I'm surprised at all the dirty marks. Oh well, maybe in a while I can paint it grey like yours :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love, love, love it all!!! The colors, the open shelves (think that is my favorite part), the verse above the window. You guys did a fantastic job!

    Thanks for linking it up @ Creatively Living!
    --Katie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks ladies for all the wonderful comments!!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful kitchen and on such a great budget!
    dee dee

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally love your fridge & your kitchen looks amazing! We also bought a second hand kitchen with the intention of painting it, but it looks so pretty timber (it's different from yours) that we've decided to keep it that way. After reading your comment about dirt I'm kinda glad we have decided that ~ we were thinking cream or white at one point!
    I love your yellow accents ~ they set off the grey so nicely! What a fun kitchen you have!
    Blessings
    Renata:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness! It's beautiful! I also want to just give you a big hug! I love the song that's playing right now! One of my favorites! :) We're sisters! :)
    Melody
    ChattyChics.com
    PS Will you come link this up at my place tomorrow so I can feature you this upcoming week?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, it's beautiful! I hope to be able to redo our kitchen in the near future and gray is one of the colors I'm considering. Yours is a beautiful vote in favor of it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your gray cabinets. You can enjoy the flexibility of changing accent colors in the future since so many colors work well with gray. Wish I could have that yellow sunshiney china. I bet it makes you happy just to look at it while washing dishes!I saw you on Chatty Chics link party. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I too tried this going darker on the bottom as my fam kept me on my toes cleaning the white cupboards.But my kitchen is small so I turned coat and went back to all white as its brighter and crisper for me.Your kitchen is lovely and the colors compliment oneanother well:)I love the open shelving too:) Deidre~ http://simplysimplisticated4.blogspot.com Im following you,stop over sometime and chat!

    ReplyDelete
  12. We have a gray kitchen by default, not choice, as we are renting. I was just counting up how many door handles I need to update it a bit. No changing the formica cupboard door fronts. Some yellow accessories might liven it up a bit, though it may clash with the white tiles with the pink and gray pattern - so 80s!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. We love reading each and everyone of them.
Blessings.